Updating Domain Blocks

Update on domain blocks.

Today we are unblocking x0f.org from our list of suspended instances to federate with. Hachyderm will begin federating with x0f.org immediately.

Reason for suspending

We believe the original suspension was related to early moderation actions taken earlier in 2022. The moderation actions took place before Hachyderm had a process/policy in place to communicate and provide reasoning for the suspension.

Reason for removing suspension

According to our records, we have no reports on file that constitute a suspension of this domain. The domain was brought to our attention as likely flagged by mistake. After review we have determined that there is no reason to suspend this domain.

A Note On Suspensions

It is important to us to protect Hachyderm’s community and our users. We may not always get this right, and we will often make mistakes. Thank you to our dedicated users for surfacing this (and the other 13 domains) we have removed from our suspension list. Thank you to the broader fediverse for being patient with us as we continue to iterate on our processes in this unprecedented space.

Opening Hachyderm Registrations

Update on the current state of Hachyderm user registrations.

Yesterday I made the decision to temporarily close user registrations for the main site: hachyderm.io.

Today I am making the decision to re-open user registrations again for Hachyderm.

Reason for Closing

The primary reason for closing user registrations yesterday was related to the DDoS Security Threat that occurred the morning after our Leaving the Basement migration.


The primary vector that was leveraging Hachyderm infrastructure for perceived malicious use, was creating spam/bot accounts on our system. Out of extreme precaution, we closed signups for roughly 24 hours,

Reason for Opening

Today, Hachyderm does not have a targeted growth or capacity number in mind.

However, what we have observed is that user adoption as dropped substantially compared to November. In my opinion, I believe that we will see substantially less adoption in December than we did in November.

We will be watching closely to validate this hypothesis, and will leverage this announcement page as an official source of truth if our posture changes.

For now we have addressed some more detail on growth, registrations, and sustainability in our Growth and Sustainability blog.